Paternity cases are matters involving child custody, placement, and child support when parties are not married. When a parent or the child receive public benefits (usually Badgercare), a county’s child support agency will often initiate an action requesting child support be paid from one parent to another. If the parents are living together, Courts will typically not enter child support orders. When the parents are not living together, courts will often address custody, placement, and child support orders on a temporary basis. Courts will then order the parents to attend mediation to resolve disputes. If the parties reach an agreement at mediation, that agreement becomes a court order. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the court will appoint a guardian ad litem to represent the child’s/children’s interests.

Need help with a paternity case? Contact us today.